Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pelvic Pain to Endometriosis

Around the time I turned 20 in 2009 my menstrual cycle changed for the worse.  I began having severe pelvic pain, heavier flow, severe clotting, and back pain.  I thought this was normal for a short time.  Over the next few months I went through severe mood swings, and headaches on top of everything else.  I would ball up in the floor crying and moaning and groaning in severe pain.  At times I thought I was in labor even though I was not pregnant.

For a few months in 2010 all my pain, heavy bleeding, and clotting subsided.  I thought the worse was over.  I couldn't of been more wrong.

After those few months of "freedom" all the pain, bleeding, and clotting returned.  I was somewhat mortified.  I didn't know what to do.  I knew I needed to go to the doctor, but I was afraid to.  All my symptoms lead to some kind of reproductive disorder or a reproductive cancer. 

Finally, after almost 2 years of dealing with this my boyfriend got me to go to the doctor in early 2011. 

On February 1, 2011 I went to a doctor to get answers and hopefully a cure.  I was told I had Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding, Dysparenuia, Dysmenorrhea, and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease.  As you may see these diagnosis were given because the doctor's didn't know what was going on.  After numerous ultrasounds, pap smears, blood work tests, MRIs, CTs, and prescriptions I finally realized I needed another opinion.  I decided to get another gynecologists opinion after my "then" doctors wanted to preform surgery.  I said no to having surgery at the time and decided to try the Depot Provera birth control shot.  The shot was to help relieve my symptoms and make me feel like a new person all around. 

In December 2011, after 2 1/2 years of misery I got the answers I needed.  I found a gynecologist that was 100% honest with me and what was going on.  With all of my symptoms and all non-conclusive ultrasounds he knew I had Endometriosis.  He said I need to have surgery to confirm this diagnosis and see if any lesions needed to be removed.  I told the doctor that I wanted without a doubt my ovary that was causing me so much pain to be removed regardless.  I knew that my chances of having children one day with my ovary taken out were going to be lowered.  However, what happened next lowered my chances of having children regardless if I have all my girl parts. 

On December 13, 2011 I had my surgery.  The surgery was a success!!!!  My doctor confirmed that I had Endometriosis!  However, my left ovary had to be removed do to the endometrial lesions on it.  The doctors also found multiple places of new endometrial growths on the outside of my uterus, fallopian tubes, and other ovary.  The good news is that I woke up from surgery with that pelvic pain that I had minutes before going under the knife.

After the surgery I felt at ease knowing what was going on with my body.  My gynecologist recommended that I stop getting my Depot Provera birth control.  He insisted that I get a shot called Lupron + Add Back which side effects are to be reversible in time after treatment.  Lupron would increase my estrogen levels so high I will never have that high of that level again in my life.  After the surge of estrogen I would be in a state of menopause.  The Add Back pill is to help mood swings and hot flashes.  I got my first Lupron shot on January 16, 2012.  I tell you what it has been a hell of a roller coaster ride since then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoping and Praying....

Hoping and Praying....